The Dodge Charger Daytona has returned for the 2017 model year! It’s offered in 2 models: the Charger Daytona that’s a throwback with a modern flair and the Charger Daytona 392 that ups the ante of high-performance driving.
This is the 4th time that this special-edition sports car has come back since its debut in 1969. As we refer to the Daytona moving forward in this post, we are not talking about the Dodge Daytona hatchback that was produced from 1984-1993.
With that being said, let’s take a deep dive into the storied history of the Dodge Charger Daytona that’s named after the Daytona 500.
1969 Dodge Charger Daytona
The history of the Daytona started as a limited-edition higher-performance version of the Charger that made its debut just 3 years earlier. The Daytona’s sole purpose was to win NASCAR races.
And it did just that just sixfold. Only 503 of these models were produced and now value at well into 6 figures. Features that made this car a classic include:
- 23″ stabilizer rear deck wing
- Sheet-metal “nose cone” that replaces the grille
- Front fenders & hood that were brought over to the 1970 Dodge Charger
- Stainless steel A-pillar covers & fender-mounted tire clearance/brake cooling scoops
- 440 Magnum or 426 Hemi V8 options
Before the 2017 edition, there were 3 other incarnations of the Dodge Charger Daytona. The first was the least significant in this model’s storied history since the 1975-1977 editions were not at the performance level of the 1969 version.
With the new generation of the Charger model in 2006 came a Daytona version. Lasting until 2009, this Daytona enhanced the R/T trim with features like:
- Sportier interior design
- Front chin & rear spoilers
- Custom hood decals
- High-performance suspension
- Heritage R/T badging & exterior paint color choices
- 20″ chrome clad wheels (2007-2009 models)
Not only did this model come with a 5.7L HEMI V8 under the hood, the 2013 Dodge Charger Daytona did as well. Available on both the R/T and R/T Road & Track trims, this edition of the Daytona gave us:
- Satin Black front crosshair grille with heritage R/T badge
- Custom vinyl hood graphic & “DAYTONA” graphic on the rear quarter panels
- Rear R/T spoiler
- 20″ 5-spoke polished aluminum wheels with Gloss Black pockets
- Performance steering & suspension
- Mopar bright pedal kit & 10-speaker Beats Audio System (R/T Road & Track only)
2017 Dodge Charger Daytona & Daytona 392
It returns with a vengeance since both the Daytona and the more powerful Daytona 392 are offered. Both versions of this special-edition 2017 Dodge Charger give you exclusive features like:
- Unique Satin Black design cues on the exterior hood, roof, deck-lid graphics & spoiler
- “Daytona” embroidered performance bolstered seats
- Dodge performance steering wheel with die-cast paddle shifters
- Carbonite interior accents
- Black-edged premium floor mats
- Wider 20” wheels
- 4th-gen Uconnect 8.4 touchscreen radio with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto
The 2017 Charger Daytona is powered by a 5.7L HEMI V8 that delivers 370 hp, while the 2017 Charger Daytona 392 uses a 6.4L HEMI V8 that ups the ante to 485 hp. TorqueFlite 8-speed automatic transmission is paired with both of these engines to give you the high-performance driving experience you desire.
Both also come with the new-for-2017 4th-generation Uconnect 8.4 touchscreen radio with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto to make integrating your smartphone and controlling your music-listening experience much simpler.
Contact Jeep Chrysler Dodge City in Greenwich CT today to learn more about the Dodge Charger Daytona and Daytona 392!